top of page

Marcos-Duterte Family Telenovela renews for another 6 years

  • Writer: Nica Hernaez
    Nica Hernaez
  • Jun 23, 2022
  • 3 min read

After the shocking turns of events in the Philippine election, Filipinos are now eagle-eyed observing the dynastic duo from two well-known family dynasties in the government—Marcos, and Duterte, as they lead the race for Presidential and Vice-Presidential bids.


First, let's take a quick peek before the election, on mid-October, Senior Duterte seeks a position on the senate slate but later concedes as he decided to run for the office of the vice president. Soon later, Duterte aborts again his mission to the vice-presidential race as his daughter, Sara Duterte will also run for the second-highest position.


The family feud lasted for a month as outgoing President Rodrigo Duterte did not release any statement if he will run for another position. The media starts to speculate that the father-daughter relationship between the two started to crack long ago before but especially now that they misread each other on the forthcoming election.


Not long ago before, PRD is vocal when he endorsed his long-term executive assistant, now out-going Senador, Bong Go. Some netizen even points out that Digong treats Go as his child more than Sara. This dramatic movie-like scenario in politics turns more twisted when Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr., the son of the late dictator Marcos Sr. joins the frame.

On November 16th, Sara and Bongbong announces their presidential- vice presidential tandem in the 2022 Election. Earlier that day, Sara seeks support from PDP laban, her father’s party list but was rejected. The Davao Mayor clarified that she accepted his father's decision and assure the press that she and President Duterte is on good terms.


Throughout the 3-month campaign season, PRD did not endorse the Uniteam duo. This sparks the allegation that the outgoing President is against the tandem. Nonetheless, he did not endorse any of the candidates until the end but soon congratulate the presumptive winners of the partial and unofficial result of the May 9 election.


Days before the official result, the court of appeals was reviewing 4 petition cases against BBM, the resolution will say to be promulgated by Tuesday, May 10. The anticipation of COMELEC’s decision created a commotion as if ever BBM wins but COMELEC decided to disqualify him, the winner of the vice-presidential bid will be the president of the Philippines.


However, this is not the case, the Uniteam duo was currently leading the race and more likely to claim the throne as the COMELEC dismissed the said petitions against Marcos Jr.

Twist after twist, this theatric is nothing new in the Philippines, every election feels like the biggest production of soap operas in history. Criminals, Tax evaders, and Human Rights Violators are still free to run even if they are convicted with cases.


Marcos and Duterte were one of the solid proof that you can dominate the Philippine government without flexing your good track records, clean audit reports, and degree. As long as you carry a powerful family name everything could not go wrong. Victory will always side with those who are equipped with so much power and tricks.


Just like what Taylor Swift said in her song exile, I think I’ve seen this film before and I didn't like the ending. Marcos-Duterte may win this election but we will never forget. For the next six years, we will always be vigilant. History may repeat but our history leads us to become brave and more vocal.


Sit tight, grab your popcorn and remote because the drama will soon begin. This tandem surely has some tricks remaining.

Comments


Post: Blog2 Post

09281990030

  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook
  • Instagram
  • Twitter

©2019 by Job Mismatch Removers. Proudly created with Wix.com

bottom of page